Monday 11 November 2013

Pearls in Peril in Wales

£3.5 million has been allocated to save freshwater mussels from disappearing into oblivion. We used to have millions but populations have plummeted due to pearl fishing and habitat destruction.

Nineteen rivers in Scotland, one in northern England and the Afon Eden near Trawsfynydd are the focus of the research and rescue. Full details of the project can be found on the project website. There is also a podcast by project officer, Elain Gwilym, on the work in Wales and this can be downloaded from Radio Wales Country Focus. 

Empty pearl mussel shell, must have been at least a hundred years old

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site.
    pearls

    ReplyDelete