Sunday 19 May 2013

Royal Voyeur


Typing away I had the feeling that I was being watched. And sure enough I was, by royalty, a queen wasp voyeur. I keyed in ‘lifecycle wasp’ and was amazed. 100,000 species of wasp! My queen was moving slowly, evidently just awoken from her hibernation. I wonder which part of my study she’d been using, maybe a quiet bookshelf? Waking up on 18th May must be leaving it quite late?

Primed with the sperm of a last year’s drone (possibly several) this queen needs all the energy she can get to build her nest and start laying. At the start she is totally self-sufficient producing and caring for batches of sterile female workers which eventually take over the care and maintenance of the nest and the offspring.

Later that day there was a second wasp which emerged in the living room taking position on the rim of a glass of water. Maybe over-wintering close to the log burner had made it dehydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment